DIY DOLL LOFT BED

Hi guys!

So awhile back when I was out thrifting, I found this:

IMG_2846

My first thoughts went to doll storage. Hooray! I mean, you can never have enough doll storage right?

However, I soon realized a major design flaw to my original plan. The door to this little wardrobe cabinet weighs about a hundred pounds, and it rests on the floor. That means, forget trying to open it when it is on a carpeted area, the door just drags along the carpet. And forget putting legs on it and raising it up a little, because said door that weighs a hundred pounds just tips the whole thing over. 😦

Don’t get me wrong, I could have easily removed the door, but then it just becomes a shelf, and I don’t need another random shelf.

So I went back to the drawing board. This took a while, a month or two actually.

Then one day I found this:

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 3.42.15 PM

This is not my image, but I knew right then that I wanted to make something similar.

IMG_2845

Haha! No more heavy door problems! No more tipping over!

And so the new loft bed project began. 🙂

The first thing I did was steal the bed from the old dollhouse to use for the bottom bunk.

IMG_2844

It fit in there perfectly. I made this little bed out of a Wii Box a long time ago. I made the bedding and pillows as well. I’ve never really been happy with it because it just resembled a mattress on the floor. Now it has an actual bed frame so it was perfect! 🙂

IMG_2847

 I had a piece of crown moulding that my sister gave me that was leftover from her new house build (bless her), so I cut a piece to size and used some wood glue to secure it along the top.

IMG_2848

I started thinking that a bed that sleeps two is great, but wouldn’t it be even better if it slept three? My thinking cap was probably twirling around by this time. 🙂

IMG_3132

So I made a mattress to go on the top. Then I bought two letter D’s from Michaels.

IMG_3134

And secured one to each end.

IMG_3135

By now my madness was starting to make some sense. 🙂

IMG_3136

The cabinet came with an extra shelf so using some hot glue and some thick craft foam pieces, I created a ladder. My daughter insisted that the dolls needed a way to get up to the top bunk.

IMG_3137

I also found a pretty piece of bronze wall decor to glue on as an embellishment on top. I might still paint it white, but I haven’t decided yet.

I added a little shelf in the side compartment as well. I might still add a wooden dowel in there to hang some clothing on because, well doll storage, but I haven’t fully decided yet.  I also haven’t made any blankets for the top bunk yet.

IMG_3138

I have to say, I am pretty thrilled with how this little bed has turned out. And I am happy that it sleeps three! We needed a place for our Newberry dolls to sleep so this is perfect.

IMG_3139

The top bunk is a bit narrow, but I’m told that the dolls don’t mind. 🙂

IMG_3140

I love that we were able to take a piece that just wasn’t working out for us, and repurpose it into something great. 🙂 I also love how sturdy it turned out to be. ❤

IMG_3141

I think that the girls like their new bed! ❤

Now to decorate it!

Let us know what you think!

Leave a comment below!

❤ ❤ ❤

 

8 thoughts on “DIY DOLL LOFT BED

  1. Very clever idea! Just goes to show that if you stare at something long enough an idea will surface. I think I would just add another shelf or two to the side to store cute little things like a lamp, decorative knick-knacks, toys, etc.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s