Hello all! We are back into the swing of things after the New Year, and we are excited to see what 2016 brings!
To celebrate the new year, here is a cool little tutorial that I dreamed up for everybody. I gave a cute little egg chair for 18″ dolls to my daughter for Christmas, and I thought that you would all like to know how to make one too.
If you don’t recognize it, I got the idea from the American Girl Julie. She is a free spirited historical doll from the 1970’s who has a really fun, hippie style. When my daughter saw her line, she was instantly in love. Julie’s egg chair has been a coveted favourite for quite some time ever since, so at long last, here it is!
Here are a few pics of the overall process:
I started out with a clay pot. I have seen people use balloons to make the egg chair, but I didn’t have a balloon that was big enough. Instead, I used the pot to shape the top as well as the bottom of the tin foil into an egg shape.
It worked pretty well if I do say so myself, although I was winging it for the most part. At this point, I had no idea how the chair was going to turn out. Just be sure to measure to make sure that your doll fits in there.
Next, I used the papier mache technique to cover the entire thing. I did about three layers for this, so it is best to leave it to dry for a couple of days after.
The chair was beginning to take shape! Once it was dry, it was time to paint. After priming, I chose a high gloss white paint. A couple of coats are all that’s needed.
By now, I was starting to decide what kind of base I should put on the chair. I used a plastic child’s plate, and the plastic lid from a large peanut butter jar. I wasn’t ready to attach the base yet though. First, I had to add some 1970’s pizzazz!
Aren’t these the coolest stickers ever?! And they were absolutely perfect for my chair! I modpodged them on there so they wouldn’t come off, and then I used a high glossy varnish finish on the whole thing. The result was awesome, just like hard plastic!
I still hadn’t attached the base of the chair by this point. It is just balancing on there for the picture. I had to prime it and paint it with metallic silver paint first. I just used some silver spray paint I had on hand. It wasn’t as chrome looking as I would have liked, but it did the trick.
Last, I attached the base to the bottom of the chair with a heavy duty epoxy glue. That baby isn’t coming off any time soon.
I found some cute polka dotted orange fabric at Walmart in the $10 fabric bin that I thought was perfect for the chair. I lined the inside of the chair with cotton batting. Then I just hot glued the fabric inside.
I covered an empty margarine container with the same fabric for a matching footstool. I used a bit of cotton batting on top to give the upholstery more plush. Then I added a button for decoration, and Voila!
Queen for a day!
I hope you enjoyed!