Hello all! Just a quick update about some goings on in our 18 inch dollhouse. I have been waiting for a new couch for the living room for a very long time. I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do or how I wanted to make one. If you go here, you will find my initial 18 inch doll house post. There you will find this little chair:
Now that piece was cute, easy, affordable, and it did the trick for a little while but it wasn’t my favourite and it lacked seating capacity. I wanted something more custom fit to the space that could seat more than one doll. I was working with a small living room area already, so I wanted to maximize what little space I had.
I had a computer box on hand that turned out to be the exact dimensions for my space. Something began to take shape in my mind:
Unfortunately, life picked up speed again, and that is where I stayed with the project. Fast forward a few months, and I finally got sick of staring at the thing just sitting there doing nothing. So I got to work.
The first thing I had to do was cover it with batting.
The next step was the hardest, what to upholster it with. I really wanted something with some pizzazz. I also wanted it to be soft and fluffy. Affordable was also at the top of my list. I don’t think that I actually spend a lot of money on the crafts that I make. I always end up just working with what I have on hand.
I was rummaging through a bag of old kid’s clothes when I came across a bathrobe that my girl had received at a friend’s party. She had outgrown it, but she still loved it, and I couldn’t bear to thrift it. What better way for something old to become new again! That’s what I’m talking about!
I set to work:
Check out the sweet embroidery! I wanted to keep the embellishment so I worked it into my design. First I covered the sofa using hot glue. Then I added some little pillows to match. I love how it turned out!
Now the dolls have a couch that seats more than one and it tucks right into the space perfectly! Awesome! Now all I need to do is create some art to hang on the wall to cover that hole. You would think that I would get around to that, but that is a project for another day. This crafty mama is tuckered out!
Have a crafty day!