Remember this little girl?
We rescued our Kit online as a TLC used doll. She was in pretty bad shape when she came. Her hair was a hot mess, and she was missing an eyebrow. Her freckles were also gone! 😦
Her legs and arms were quite loose, and she had a few purple pen marks on her face. The guy who was selling her thought that she was boy doll!
(This is all that her arms would do. They wouldn’t stay up, but kept flopping to the sides. It was also very difficult getting her to stand, because her legs were wobbly.)
Well, we saw the potential in her! She had good working eyes with all of their lashes, and her neck strings were intact. Her body was also in perfect condition, and none of her limbs had any marks on them.
So, since Kit is my all time favourite historical character, we decided to take her home anyway and love her up a bit. 🙂
Once we brushed up her hair, we realized that she actually has a pretty great wig. It is soft and manageable. It didn’t give me any trouble at all, and it was good as new in no time! That was a huge relief, because I don’t have any experience with re-wigging dolls. 🙂
Okay, so the first thing that we had to do was tighten her limbs. I just used a tutorial online for this, and it worked wonderfully!
Kit was finally able to stand on her own! To tell you the truth, now she is the best standing doll that I have!
Next we had to get rid of the spots on her face. She had a few up by her eyebrow and a couple near her ear.
Over on CanadianDollNotebook we found an awesome tutorial on how to remove ink spots from your doll’s vinyl. We were excited to see if it would help out our poor Kit!
We went ahead and purchased the 10% benzoyl peroxide online at the link she provided. When it came in the mail, we were so stoked to try it out!
First we dabbed the cream onto the ink spots. Then we wrapped her entire head in plastic wrap and secured it with a hair tie. The plastic wrap helps the cream not to dry out right away in the sun.
This looks very much like I’m suffocating the doll with a plastic bag. 😛
I wrapped her body in a towel to protect her from the sun.
I stuck her in a sunny spot on my back patio. LOL! I wonder what my neighbours thought when they saw this.
Here she is after only 3-4 hours!! I could still see the spots that had been darker to begin with but the lighter spots were completely gone!!
I reapplied the cream to the remaining trouble spots, wrapped her back up in plastic, and put her back out there for a few more hours. In total I think that she was in the sun for 8-9 hours.
The spots by her ears were nearly gone too!
Note: The benzoyl peroxide did not leave these fade marks. They were already there to begin with. I think that at one time someone tried to remove the spots with something, and it discoloured the doll’s skin, but it did not remove the spots.
Once all of the spots were gone, I was getting really excited. All I had left to do was repaint her face!
I had to add an eyebrow, some freckles and some lipstick. I love how she turned out!
She’s a totally different doll!! ❤
Here are some more photos!
Yay! Tight limbs means that she can raise the roof! LOL!
She can march without falling over!!! ❤ 🙂
LOVE!!! ❤ ❤ ❤
I think someone took some acetone to her face and removed all of her colouring, her lips, freckles, and even her eyebrow!
She looks way better now!
Her face just came alive when I painted her freckles back on, and put a little colour to her lips. 🙂
(For some reason, her lips look hot pink in this picture. They are not that eighties pink in real life!)
We even gave her a pair of brand new red shoes that we got on eBay for ten cents!
We love you Kit!!
We are so happy with Kit’s makeover! 🙂
Tell us what you think. Leave a comment below!
❤ ❤ ❤